Long Range Transportation Goals
The broad goals developed in spring of 2013 were refined at a joint Tribal Council/Roads Committee work session in January of 2014. The long-range goals for the DIA Tribal Transportation Program are as follows:
Access & Sustainability:
• Acquire land and develop a transportation facility from which to operate the Transportation Program.
• Re-establish historic use of and routes to cultural sites and traditional territory through improving access and working with agencies to protect and maintain routes and sites.
• Educate agencies about the history of the Tribe and establish cooperative relationships with them regarding transportation access.
• Improve water/boating safety.
• Improve and promote maintenance and safe use of trails.
• Improve bicycle, pedestrian, and driver safety on the roadways, especially in school zones.
• Restore and improve access to and customary uses of cultural resources and Tribal territory for the economic wellbeing of the Tribe.